Yes, this is inspired by the movie “Inside Out” (2015). One concept that really struck me was about “Core Memories” and if we lose them, we lose our a significant part of our identity. I’m going to capture some of these by chronology and categories.
- Stepping on a bee and getting stung. North side of Bellefontaine house.
- Pooping on the south side of porch. I remember knocking frantically on the door and no one answered…do I had to do what I had to do. Later I learned that Mike had to clean it up! I do remember the shovel!
- Japanese Garden in front, visiting the nursing home next to us, the trees, some of the houses on Bellefontaine. Flying the toy airplane in the Huntington Hospital Parking lot.
- 3 or so, getting shocked after putting the key in the outlet at Garfield. I remember the blue flash and brunette fingers. I remember the round light fixtures in the classroom and hall way.
- Razor on my left pinky…still have the scar. Uncle Sei didn’t hid that too well!
- Seeing my dad work in the ‘basement office. Smell of ammonia from blue print machine.
- The shed in the back by the swing set with all that junk….including a ‘bowling’ arcade game that I couldn’t use. Was there a huge eucalyptus tree by the gas pumps?
- Riding Trikes, playing with corn starch, naps at Special 4 and pre-school
- Burying Catharine or a puppy in the garden (southside of driveway). Growing sweetpeas near there
- Dad getting hit in the head with the crane ball when lifting a sego tree.
- That trailer for the tractor and how it pivoted when you got to the end. And also remember when it fell and now I have a scar on my left cheek.
- Dr. Ogawa for stitches…
- Christmas in my crib
- Asking for a bottle
- Staple in my finger but I didn’t cry
- Surf fishing with dad
- The smell of his clothes and that weird hard hat
- Fishing in the ponds at Descanso Gardens with Mike….caught blue gill
- LA Count Fair and me being dressed in a Kellogue Fertilizer Costume (per dad). Getting lost there…
- The green kitchen table
- Getting poked at grandpa or grandma’s burial service by a wire
- Mochizuki and cleaning ducks in the backyard
- Someone shooting out the back of the station waggon
- Sliding down freshly folded news papers right before cousins delivered them on their paper route.
- Riding the tractor with dad at Bamiko’s
- Gardening routes, sprinkler main at Altadena Presbyterian, Trailer park development (Especially Carson). Cutting my hand on alfalfa there.
- 2nd Street office…”Imperial Mobile Estates
- Red quarters used for washing machine repairs
- The Elkaim’s apartment.
- Hanging out with Troop 41 on outings. Mr. Skinner, “watermelon creek.” Baths on the tail gate. Getting burnt at ???Hot Springs.
- Perch derbies and Santa Barbara
- “Barbara” my mythical friend
- Rose Parade on the back of the truck.
- Fishing on the pier…with no rails
- Red rug in the TV room
- The yard full of plants and watering them from the top and bottom.
- The Honda 50 in the back yard next to the fertilizer stacks. The smell of DTD in the garage.
- Snoopy Room!
- Oshogatsu at our house
- Going to Union Church and singing in the Sunday school hall. Playing with the office safe with Jon Toriumi. Miss Kakimi helping with my penmanship.
- Walking to Jefferson Primary: Miss May (1st), Mrs. Montgomery (2nd), Mrs. Markarian (3rd) Nancy Udder and Halloween. Donna Brennen and in the Jungle
- Watching the old Jefferson building getting torn down and building the new one in its place. Mr. Bronson’s owls and paddle.